Tuesday 7 April 2015

Fitness Journey - Day 1

My real fitness journey began in September 2012 when I made a  decision to put a bar on my increasing weight. At that time I was 73Kgs (161 pounds) and I actually did not feel I was so bulky then as I do today. Then why did I start my journey? Frankly, I can't find an answer to that. What I can recall is that I was quite happy when I completed my 30 minutes walk in the closed space of my house. I did not go out to a park or to the terrace, I just walked from last room to the entrance of the house. Different way exercise, isn't it? It was not fancy but it was 'my way'. From that day onward I walked - 30 min, 40 min, 50 min and then 60 min :) I came to that there was a recycled exercising bicycle at my grandparent's house and the next day it was in my room. There was also an old, roughly 13 years old, jogger gathering dust in the store room at my place. Those two machines became my evil friends. :-D They tired my while I benefited from that tiredness. What followed was weight loss while I was having fun testing my will power :-D After that I have been continuously trying, by keeping at walking regime, improving on my diet, adopting healthy habits, joining gym, etc. to get closer to that perfect health and shape.

Today, I am starting an online journal to keep a record of the new episode in this fitness journey of mine. I joined a gym again to try Bodyweight workouts for toning purpose. I will be writing about my experience in the gym for the day, achievements, failures, lessons learnt, friends made (mostly machines it will be :-D ), unexpected incidents, etc. I think have given enough background about the intentions behind this blog post, and ones that will follow, so I will move on to my today's experience.

I believe that your real intentions are put to test every time you want to do something important in your life. I say this because just when I decided that today will be my first day at gym it gets cold and it starts to drizzle right before the time when I am about to start for the gym. I HAVE TO GO! NO EXCUSES, PLEASE. Thats what I said to myself and set out. My first day at any place is, if not weird, at least is a little strange because I take time to settle into the environment. I need to connect to the place. I dislike crowded spaces, and that is the reason I chose a timing when the gym had only 6 people, 3 of which were trainers. My trainer is a lady who herself had a stupendous fitness journey. From 93 kg she came down to something in 50s. That's inspiring for me :-) 

Workout time - I began with normal stretching and a cardio session. Everything was fine  during this time as it was not very new to me. Soon I began the other training session. I had completed only 1 circuit and was at the last exercise to complete my second one when I realized I was not well. :-O I felt a bit dizzy and the trainer saw that. What next? I wasted some 15 minutes just sitting/laying on the bench. :-| I was not there for doing that. I had to get back to my feet and punch that weakness to march to the glory for finishing the workout. And I got up to finish what I started. Its alright to be knocked down but what matters is getting up after the blow. To conquer the self is the greatest victory. I have a lot of weaknesses but I know I have the strength too within me to overcome those weaknesses. I completed my day's workout and walked out of the gym with feeling of having achieved something. 


Wrapping up with a hope that tomorrow will be another success story :-)

Fitness Quote - Don't wish for it, work for it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this amazing article! It was so inspiring to me! I'm a missionary and so sometimes we need to walk a lot and it is really important for us to be in good shape. Taking care of our bodies is so important because they are truly a gift from God. And our bodies are capable of so much more than we think. It is usually our mind that holds us back. And the Lord is so great to us and tells us that if we come unto him he can turn our weaknesses into strengths. What is something that has helped you when you felt like giving up? Thanks again for the inspiring message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valeria,
      Thank you for sharing your feelings about the post. There was a line I read today - Take care of your body, it is the only place you live in :-) We always have to choose between the limitless existence of ours and the limitations that everyone around us keeps telling us. And whenever I felt like giving up I thought about how far I had come and about why I started. Thank you :-)

      Delete