Monday 30 January 2012

Every Vote Counts

Today I exercised my right to vote and casted my vote for the first.Without wasting much time I will try to share an incident that made me ruminate upon the importance of a vote

I woke up from my winter slumber around ten in the morning and went downstairs to begin my day.My dad was sitting on the dinning table and asked me if I would like to go, along with him, to the polling booth.I was excited because it was my first time and agreed, to go, straight away.I just brushed my teeth, wore my sweatshirt and left.We were just hundred meters away from the school,which was the place where voting machines were installed, when I saw the hustle bustle.In school we were taught that exercising your right to vote makes you a responsible citizen and I was happy to see so many responsible people around me :-) The room allotted to us, on the ballot paper, was not much crowded, even though there were long queues in front of other rooms.It took us not more than five minutes to finish up our work and return home.


Me and my dad were about to leave the place when I saw a man on wheelchair with two boys by his side.He lives only two blocks away from our house and has recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.I hear from my mother about his frequent visits to the hospital, due to his withering health.The doctors have said that he will see only few more days or may be weeks, if he is that blessed.And when I say blessed,I really mean it because the thread of breath is supplied only by the almighty, and if he cuts it away, no one can ever provide you that thread.This further reminds me of a ghazal, "Jeevan Kya Hai" by Lt.Jagjit Singh ji, which has the line, " aatii saans ko paanaa jaatii saans ko khonaa hai ", in it answering the question in the title. Getting back to the main point, when I saw this man, heading to cast his vote, I couldn't understand why he was there.I was hit by few hackneyed questions. Shouldn't he be sitting at home and spending time with his family? Why is he taking all the pain to get out of the bed and come all the way to cast only 'one single vote'? May be because 'Every Vote Counts' :-) I can sit back at home thinking that my vote will not change the outcome of the elections, but what if everyone thinks like that. In a mosaic every individual chunk has a value and like 'every penny counts', every vote also counts.




posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment